Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives

From: klez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 23:43:40 +0200

I won't explicitly take a stance on the issue (at the moment I'm still
trying to form an opinion on that), but the clear distinction (to me)
is that software *does* something, while a written text does not.

On Fri, 15 May 2015 14:35:09 -0700
Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> wrote:

> On 05/15/2015 02:27 PM, Yoni Rabkin wrote:
> > Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> writes:
> >
> >> Why the incredible desire to use existing source code? Why not use
> >> the wasted time and efforts spent arguing about this reverse
> >> engineering your software and just be done with it. …
> >
> > Because works of personal opinion are different than useful
> > software.
> >

> Not different enough so that the same completely useless statement
> from Terry couldn't be applied identically. If you want to push this
> distinction, you are being intellectually dishonest if you don't allow
> the very same logic and arguments to be applied. If the distinction is
> real, then there *must* be cases where you can take the same logic and
> show that it applies in one case and not the other.
>
> The example you are replying to is not that. The "you're wasting time,
> do it yourself" argument works for both unless you get into discussing
> whether someone like RMS spending lots of time and talent writing
> clearly is somehow different from software engineers doing the same
> with code.
>
> It's put simply in Nina's
> http://blog.ninapaley.com/2011/07/04/rantifesto/
>
> She points out that in the argument from RMS / FSF about "works of
> opinion" the language changes.
>
> 'notice how users are now called “recipients,” and their Freedoms are
> now called “permissions”'
>
> If you can't make your point about the distinction by applying the
> *identical* arguments and yet come to a different conclusion, then the
> issues between the different media are *not* distinct in this regard.
>
> And complaining about the arguing is just a complete cop-out.

- --
Federico klez Culloca
mes3hacklab - http://mes3hacklab.org