Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 12:16:35 -0500

Misleading translations prove that misleading translations are a problem we
need to think about.  Right now, GNU could go after Google, Bing and other
bad actors if they were to provide bad translations.  Will this be enough?
How will things be improved by getting rid of ND?  I'd rather see resources
put elsewhere than contributing to a Scroogle campaign.  I'm not comfortable
with the situation but encourage honest efforts.

Copyright in the US is still mostly civil law, enforced at the discression of
the offended party which may be selective.  If it were not that way, we could
not make licenses and exceptions like the GPL.  I do not consider it unjust
to give people the power to avoid misrepresentation and plagiarism.

Go ahead and publish your translation.  I can't speak for GNU but I imagine
the worst thing that would happen to you is that you will be told to take it
down.  In the best case, you will get some corrections.  That seems to be how
GNU deals with infringement.

You have told me that getting rid of ND will liberate honest efforts.   I've
objected that it will give people with wealth and power more advantages and
won't work.  Are there any studies showing us what really works?