Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: aoi
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 01:36:16 +0200

A friend of mine emailed Stallman about creating FAN translations of published works that have been locked up by exclusive privileges, (not questioning the legality of it because obviously we know the answer to that question even if I don't agree with how the law works), but questioning the morality of it. And he actually replied. He said creating derivatives of published works without permission is morally ok, but not translations. Translations are not ok.

Of course this was 2012 and I couldn't give you exact quotes anymore, and perhaps he has changed his position on this matter?

Stallman is a die-hard free software person and I have nothing less than the utmost respect for that. But unless I am mistaken, he is horrible on free culture and the freedom to modify and republish published works, even though software IS a form of culture!