Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software freedom is the only viable business m

From: Andres
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software freedom is the only viable business model.
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 13:02:01 +0100

El 4 de abril de 2015 11:48:02 GMT+01:00, Logan Streondj <streondj@gmail.com>
escribió:
>On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 08:49:21AM +0100, Andrés Muñiz Piniella wrote:
>> I have a stupid question about GPL.
>>
>> A) Could I start up a company. Write up a software package with GPL
>licence, give the binaries for free but charge $millions for the code
>if they want it?
>      you're a few days late for april fools.
>
>> I would not show the code unless I was paid. Of course, whoever paid
>for it could now give it out for free. I would be fine for that. But if
>I did not sell the code to anyone and I saw my code in the wild I could
>sue whoever was distribuiting it?
>>

>otherwise sounds like you simply want the ordinary "all rights
>reserved" proprietary license.
>But ya, if you don't give it to anyone, then it dies with you.
>
>I haven't heard of anyone suing over proprietary code and
>winning. SCO tried to sue Linux but they lost miserably.
>

>> Or could I say for the same GPL software same situation (A) but both
>binaries and code are worth $millions.
>>

>Also, get over yourself, if market doesn't pay you for it, then
>it isn't worth it.

Sorry it seemed like something I planned to do. It was an hipothetical  example
with price that intentionally is above market price.        To avoid it being
bought.

I now know I need to be clear on this and change 'I' for 'a company' this will
probably save me from having comments directed to my person and not the
situation.

The imagined situation is some sort of coop in which if you join the dev team
you would get a slice of the money if the code is sold. Since it is GPL
licenced it would also               (...)
Anyway, problably tl;dr by now.

Thanks anyway, as I said, stupid question.

redirected email from K-9 email