Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Compatibility/Interop - and identity

From: rysiek
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Compatibility/Interop - and identity
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 23:05:43 +0100

Hi there,

Dnia środa, 4 lutego 2015 00:20:44 Fabián Rodríguez pisze:
> Le 2015-02-03 12:11, rysiek a écrit :
> >  - FLOSS iCal/CalDAV/WebDAV sync app for Android/CyanogenMod/Replicant (or
> >    maybe I don't know of an existing one?).
>
> DAVDroid is the only one that I am aware of:
> https://davdroid.bitfire.at/what-is-davdroid
> https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=davdroid&fdid=at.bitfire.dav
> droid

Thanks, didn't know of it.

> I somewhat agree with what you posted regarding interop/standardization.
>
> Compare this to to identity as another challenge in free software
> adoption, it's more visible on mobile platforms.

Absolutely.

> On Android for example I can find everything I need in free software via
> FDroid.
>
> This requires knowing about FDroid (which I assume you didn't) and
> having it installed in the first place, something CyanogenMod could have
> included in their official ROM. Why didn't this happen? Bad timing? Yet
> another example of missed opportunity:
> https://f-droid.org/forums/topic/spreading-the-word-about-f-droid/

I knew about FDroid, I just don't use it regularly, as my main mobile device
is a Jolla.

> All that free software is great but it requires individual accounts
> registration, setup and configuration for each application (IM, VoIP,
> Calendar, addressbook, bookmarks sync, mapping, etc.). Compared to
> single-sign-on with Google and other providers for addressbook, calendar
> etc., it's a big hassle. Mozilla looked like THE organization capable of
> taking care of this with its Mozilla Sync / Firefox Accounts service -
> but I believe it will be used to support only their browser data
> (bookmarks/passwords/etc.) as opposed to become an identity/sync
> provider for all apps *including Android*.

Thing is, single-sign-on etc. can be the next step. We don't even have a
working setup for synchronizing such things in a standardized (in each of the
areas) manner. Single sign-on could be done with OpenID or whatever, but I'm
talking lower, much lower level.

I'm talking "file formats" and "protocols". From getting the federated social
networks talking to each otehr, to implementing more software using open file
formats consistently and without major hiccups.

For instance, have you tried migrating a large Maildir mail archive between e-
mail applications? Don't get me started on that one, and this is not a
"newfangled format nobody knows".

> I also asked a while ago directly to the Mozilla dev.identity mailing list:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.identity/BacBqzXBG6I

Isn't it telling that Mozilla's dev.identity mailing list is hosted on...
Google? ;)
cf. http://rys.io/en/126

> I've previously argued for CardDAV support in FirefoxOS:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/FireFoxOS/comments/2jw2j5/carddav_sync_for_contacts
> _now_has_245_votes_why/

The fact that it even needs to be argued for is apalling.

> Even with excellent CalDav/CardDav clients in Android, without SSO
> anyone with less than 30 seconds to setup their mobile (when it's not
> done by the sales people in store) will just ignore any other
> alternatives.

Exactly.

> Calendar and Addressbook are probably very important and
> central to most people but ultimately we need to have a simpler
> experience for anyone to adopt - and continue using - free software on
> desktop or mobile. Did I mention I have to manually update each
> application in FDroid?

Fail.

> Right now it's quite demanding to maintain all this and advocate for
> other people to do the same, to the point I prefer using a simple
> netbook instead of my not-too-smart-almost-free phone.

Exactly. I'm on Jolla and I'm quite content with it, however -- why oh why
isn't there a nice note syncing app? We have KNotes on KDE, a notetaking app
on Jolla, Notes app on ownCloud, and yet... no syncing possible?

What the hell... these are just flat files with a date!

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147