Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software tools for scholars

From: Marko Dimjašević
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software tools for scholars
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 23:37:22 -0700

Hi Mike,

Mike Gerwitz <mikegerwitz@gnu.org> writes:

> Hey Marko,
>
> While I cannot point you to a list of scholarly resources---which I would
> love to have myself---here are some resources for free alternatives:
>
>   <http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page>
>   <http://prism-break.org/en/>
>
> The former is a strong focus for the FSF and already has some useful
> categories, so it may be worth contributing software to that directory.
> That said, it would still be useful to have a page (even if it's on one of
> those sites) dedicated to academia to act as a context-specific guide for
> entry.

Thanks for pointing to these resources!

What I had in mind is a bit like the Free Software Directory. Actually,
this scholar resource would be full of links to the directory. It would
also have a motivation for using this and that tool and what it is good
for, and also maybe simple usage and configuration examples and/or with
pointers to other resources where such examples are given. For example,
both Git and LaTeX are great, but can one combine them and what for? An
answer might not be as obvious to everyone.

Ok, based on the replies I got the impression it'd be nice to have such
a resource for scholars. First, I'll get familiar with MediaWiki a bit
more, check out how is the LibrePlanet wiki structured, start creating
the resource, and let you know.

--
Cheers,
Marko