[libreplanet-discuss] Do Google Play's license terms conflict with the G

From: Bart Kelsey
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Do Google Play's license terms conflict with the GPL?
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:57:39 -0400

Hey folks,

Someone mentioned this to me in a random conversation, and interestingly enough, I can't seem to find any discussion about it on the internet, so I assume that either everything is fine or it hasn't really been discussed.

Section 6 of the Google Play terms of service would appear at first glance to conflict with the GPL.

http://play.google.com/intl/en_us/about/play-terms.html

Is there something that I'm misunderstanding here, or does this effectively prevent people from releasing GPLed apps on the Play store?

Bart