Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 23:29:36 +0200

Hi,

Usrnix <usrnix.sbin@gmail.com> writes:

> I could see this working well for GNU, using GCC as a example following
> the Mozilla networks template we'd have a brief description of what GCC
> is and what it does, followed by an example command for compiling
> something and explanation of what happened, then going on to introduce
> the different options/flags available and such. Each article like this
> providing links throughout to articles within the GNU Dev Network
> similar to Wikipedia citing.

Yes, I think that would be nice.  It will be a lot of work to fill in
all this info so I think it would be best to pick a couple of starting
points (say, gcc and glibc)

> I will say though that I think the project would benefit from being
> run on its own website although I'm not sure what it could run right
> now, perhaps a custom system will be needed.

Well, it's simply a problem of dedicated manpower.  The GNU sysadmins
are already quite busy so we determined that maintaining another
dedicated system on top of everything else would simply not be feasible.
There was talk of setting up an independent mediawiki site for it but it
seems that it would be better to work with LibrePlanet.  There's still
some conversation on the topic, which is why we're not diving in just
yet, but I think LP will be the better solution in the end.

OK, one other thing: we decided that the name "GNU Developer Network"
can be a bit confusing, since some people read it and think that it
would be specifically a dev network for official GNU package
maintainers, which isn't the case.  I suggested "Free Software Developer
Network" but that was determined to be too broad.  rms suggested "GNU
Platform Developer Network" or "GNU Application Developer Network".  I
also raised "GNU Free Developer Network" as a possibility.  Does anyone
have any suggestions?  Something tells me that rms will have the final
say on this but I'd love to hear if anyone has any ideas that I can
share with him.

Brandon

--
Brandon Invergo