Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Team proposal at LibrePlanet for a software pr

From: George Standish
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Team proposal at LibrePlanet for a software project
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 00:32:39 -0400

> On Fri, 2013-04-19 at 07:58 -0400, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> > I'd like to know if it's ok to setup a team for software that was
> > recently released under a free open source licence, specifically
> > LiveCode by RunRev:
> > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755283828/open-source-edition-of-livecode

<SNIP>

> > I thought LibrePlanet could be used to organize a team and get
> > documentation and self-help started.
> >
> > Is this a good idea?

<SNIP>

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 05:48:22PM -0400, Kẏra wrote:
> Hi Fabian,
>
> This is great!

I'm not sure it is.

I'd say the software in question fails freedom 0.  Their dual licensing model
outlines what you can, and can't do, with this free software (I believe they
correctly use the term "open source").
http://www.runrev.com/products/Open-Source/FAQs

It is directly marketed for development of applications on non-free operating
systems.

The software itself, is being developed using the non-free github service.

How is any of this a win for software freedom?

George