Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Android without Google

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Android without Google
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 20:37:26 +0200

> So a beginning of solution would be a device list,
> preferably hosted by FSF,
> enlisting what hardware does not requires kernel blobs,
> and what hardware requires /some blobs/, in such case for which
> chip/functionality.

Replicant has such information for supported phones, h-node.org provides
data on devices working without nonfree software (i.e. with what's
included in Trisquel or other FSF-listed distros).

> Obviously, such a list would need fine-grained hardware versions *and*
> revisions list,
> because of silent changes (eg, a mainboard is launched fully Free
> Software compliant,
> then revision N comes with a chip (NIC, ...) needing kernel blob or,
> at worse, a closed
> driver.

Seen this on h-node.org for wifi cards.  (Motherboards are not listed
there.)

> Obviously, getting fully Free Software basis 3d acceleration on any
> non professional
> mainboard or graphical card (OpenGL ?) would be a must-have (seems to
> be launched
> soon by xxtel, no warranty).

No non-x86 system has it (and the x86 AMD, some Nvidia and some Intel
also don't have it).  Personally I don't think it's important for all
users (e.g. there are some users of Replicant or Lemote YeeLoong
netbooks).

> Obviousely, getting fully FS compliant smartphones or tablets from
> major companies
> (Geekphone zero is out of stock for weeks) would be nice.

Geekphones are mostly the same as other devices in case of firmware
blobs.  Some of the devices supported by Replicant can be used without
other nonfree software than bootloader and baseband firmware (wifi and
many other optional things would use other nonfree firmware).

> What I don't understand is: why FSF strongly disagree and recommends
> not to use
> kernel blobs, and on the other hand does not provides any mean to get
> rid of.

They support Linux-libre, distros containing it, list vendors providing
systems working with free software and support h-node.org.