Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Android without Google

From: cryptie
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Android without Google
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:53:05 +0200

On mardi 9 octobre 2012 at 1:45 PM, "Ziv Leyes" <zivley@gmail.com> wrote:
Allow me to chime in, but it's a bit ridiculous to state you want "Android without Google" as I believe Android IS Google itself.
If you're so anti google, why buy an android tablet anyway? Buy something else or use the hardware to install other free OS
He was talking about using cyanogenmod not Android.
Cyanogenmod is at Android what a Trisquel would be for Ubuntu (more or less).
On your trisquel you can install ubuntu applications, it the same with cyanogenmod and Android.
This may have been a bit confused for people not used to these things ^^

In fact, he wants to do exactly what you propose : keeping the hardware, changing the OS to a free one
(or nearly free, cyanogenmod has some blob I think, should check)
 and then he wants to know how to use it as efficiently as "with the google apps" but with Free software ^^