Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community orien

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community oriented licence(s)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:39:00 -0400

And that's why the FSF is a sinking ship

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/11/12/17/1735253/gpl-copyleft-use-declining-fast

On 12-10-03 05:37 PM, Ted Smith wrote:
On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 17:33 -0400, Patrick wrote:
Hi Mark, Hi Ted

Again this is your with us or against us. Regardless of the licence, if
the code ships with source code am I not somewhere up the ladder from
closed source, am I not?
No, you aren't. "Free software" is a term defined here:
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>

It's a binary classification -- either you meet the four freedoms, or
you don't.

Can you not come down from your Ivory tower and help me to find an
alternative to closed source software(which is looking better then when
I first posted)
This list is not the appropriate form to do that.

I think it is better to give clean needles to drug addicts then to
spread HIV.  Whether or not you agree with me should not be the issue,
only finding as many alternatives to closed source as possible, even if
that is a gradient.
It's not so much about agreeing with you, it's about this list being an
FSF forum. This is not the place to ask for advice on making non-free
software licenses.

I don't believe the FSF recognizes any "gradient" of freedom -- just
licenses that meet their criteria for free software, and licenses that
don't.