Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community orien

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community oriented licence(s)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:19:09 -0400

On 12-10-03 04:43 PM, Rudolf wrote:

It seems like you're complaining that you'll have to face competition. Yes it's hard to compete with larger companies but maybe you should cross that bridge when you come to it.

This is a hard problem that other projects face as you've pointed out. They simply issue warnings about downloading from scammers and that's the best you can do I think.

As i mentioned most companies will hesitate to sell or modify free software so you can negotiate a proprietary license agreement with them that's favorable to you (i.e. displaying credit to you )

If you feel the various open source and free software licenses out there aren't good enough for you then that's okay, pick or write up a license that's good for you.

Hopefully you choose a license that provides freedom to both developers and users despite potential competition from larger businesses.

Thanks again for spending time with on on this and your kind tone.

I have to figure out how to compete before i undertake a strong effort. It's a SWOT analysis. Strengths/Weakness/Opportunities/threats.

I am seriously considering hiring a lawyer to write a licence for me but the cost will hurt a lot.

As I was saying I am interesting in the Reciprocal Public License 1.0 but under the urging of the FSF it had it's balls cut off in version 1.5 and it now permits derivatives to be resold. I don't know if this licence is enforceable in court.

thanks again!