[libreplanet-discuss] Breaking the garden walls

From: Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Breaking the garden walls
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 21:41:40 +0200

Hi there,

Since there is a discussion on Tent, I figure I might also ask your
opinion on this:
http://rys.io/en/88 | http://rys.io/en/88.txt

I have been thinking about this for a while already. Basically I
believe, if done right, we might have a way of breaking people of
walled gardens.

Here's the short version, but do please read the whole post (it's not
that long), many issues are covered there already.

1. agree on a single social network protocol (or two - one for
   microblogging, one for longer forms) and throw all weight and
   support behind it.

2. create a service that offers several service types (XMPP, e-mail,
   social networking) under a single user ID.

3. that's the important part: designate a certain date each month or
   (probably better) quarter "Prison Break Day"; create a website that
   users can log-into with their walled-garden accounts and take one
   or more of the possible pledges:
   - "I shall create a libre social network account before or at the
      next Prison Break Day";
   - "I shall close my walled-garden account before or at the next
      Prison Break Day".

Crucially, info on the pledges shall be published on user's walled-
garden walls/streams/timelines/etc.

The point is to have the network effect work for us.

Pledging does not require much work and is not a hard decision, so
some people that would not be willing to move to libre networks just
like that - just might take these pledges.

The more people pledge, the more other people see that there are, in
fact, many people trying or wanting, or thinking about going libre.
This is precisely what we're going for, and this is precisely where
our chance is.

So, what do you think?

Me and my foundation is willing to take part and engage in such a
project if there would be some interest from others (see what I did
there with this pledge right now? ;) ).

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania