[libreplanet-discuss] Libre Humanitarian Grid?

From: Joel Kahn
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Humanitarian Grid?
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 18:57:54 -0700 (PDT)

A while ago, I mentioned the World Community Grid . . .

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

. . . and a couple of people mentioned that it was not
a Libre software project. This raises a question: would
it be possible to create and maintain something like
the WCG, with the same humanitarian goals, that was based
upon Libre software (and hopefully hardware) all the way
through? I have no illusions that such a venture would
be quick and easy at all; the presence or absence of a
large corporate sponsor, like IBM supports the WCG, would
be just one of many challenging issues.

In any case, I toss the idea out here for you to think about.
I look forward to seeing everyone's thoughts.

Joel