Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 20:12:07 +0200

> * all you need is an ISP which offers for free or as a non free option
> a fixed IPv4 address (my case is "comes together, no extra cost"...)
> [see also inbound 25], and a "domain" you own.

Technically it doesn't need a static address, just a domain must resolve
it most of the time (MTAs queue mails which temporarily fail to be
relayed).

> * If your mail cannot outbound from your ISP net /25, you can also
> relay on your ISP servers (can't reamain the option in Postfix, but it
> is like "forwarders" in Bind). This is a bad workaround -- no direct
> "talk", you can be spied -- Not my case : there is an option on my
> ADSL box setup to allow outbound 25 :)

This gives more spying opportunities to the ISP only if the other MTA
uses STARTTLS, unsure how common it is.

> * "submission" port is for your personal access to your server to post
> while you connect from any location (never filtered by isps). I had to
> setup that after a journey "read only" in my family with "no TSP/UDP
> 25 outbound" :P

SPF might be another reason to use a specific server for sending the
mails.  With many big mail providers using RBLs to block all mails sent