Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:14:32 -0700

Of course, maybe I've misunderstood the purpose of this list. If so,
I invite dissent!

Freedom is not necessarily incompatible with charging a fee for access
to a distribution service that happens to contain specific GPLed content,
assuming that's what Miles meant by "limited release."

No, the model is thus:

Pay $X for the software after release
Pay $X+2Y for the software during beta
Pay $X+3Y for the software during alpha
Pay $X+4Y for the source code after release
Pay $X+5Y for the source code during beta
Pay $X+6Y for the source code during alpha

My problem is that he's releasing the software to people, but not giving them the source code, or the ability to change it (in fact, since he's clearly not using the GPL for these releases, the source code could still be under restrictive licenses). Stopping that behavior is exactly why we're on this list.

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation