Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in projec

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [fossil-users] [OT] Who's interested in project management & collaboration tools? And...
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:54:13 -0400

Mary-Anne Wolf wrote:

For a lot of people, a Google Spreadsheet, or one of the new web-based
checklist sharing packages is just fine.  This is for those of us who:
- like our own copies of things, and/or,
- need to work disconnected a lot of the time (on airplanes, responding
to disasters, and so forth)
Lotus notes will do that, but it is not free or open source
and it requires servers.
Groove at one point tried to do the same as notes using peer-to-peer
without servers, but I don't know what became of it, and it is also,
I think, closed source.

You're almost talking about using a Bit Torrent like technology
underneath a project management front end....
or something like database mirroring or
mirroring of FTP sites.

Yup! Notes is certainly an influence. Groove, and the SSE extension to RSS are influences as well. For that matter, so is NNTP (for a while, Netscape sold a really nice collaboration server built around private newgroups).

This gets you part of the way there,
but does not include disconnected operation.
http://theprojectwall.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/peer-to-project-communication-what-if-the-project-itself-was-a-member-of-the-project/

That's really along the same lines.

This might almost fund it, or part of it
http://www.mass.gov/hed/community/funding/peer-to-peer.html
Thanks for the pointer! (Though, if you've ever dealt with the MA state government..., which I have, .....)

But I have never seen anything exactly like what you describe.

Hence the project :-)

Seriously, this started with some work on distribution of military operations orders - currently distributed largely as text and attachments, by email - and asking if we could simplify handling of follow-up messages by sending HTML+JavaScript messages that could update themselves by pulling follow-up messages out of the mail stream and applying changes.

It looks like HTML5, the latest generation of browsers, and a few work-arounds (use a proxy to work through cross-origin restrictions), make it all feasible. Seems like its now time to make a run at it.

So, are you thinking of this on laptops or on mobile devices
or both?

Both. Goal is to make everything run in a browser, with distribution via email, and updates/synchronization via either XMPP or Atom. Biggest stumbling blocks are saving files locally, particularly on iOS where there's no direct access to the file system. Seeing how much we can do with browser storage. Alternative is to use a local server, access files via both DAV and the file system (again, an issue on iOS).

Miles