[libreplanet-discuss] Restricted Boot &c

From: Joel Kahn
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Restricted Boot &c
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 04:09:30 -0700 (PDT)

The ugly truth is, most people don't know or care
about the whole issue of software/hardware freedom.
If you have cable/satellite TV with any shopping
channels on it, watch when they're selling computers.
The pitch is clearly aimed at totally ignorant folks
who will spend money on flash and glitz. This is
what has kept Microsoft and Apple in business through
their decades of manipulation.

Realistically, I expect that we'll need some really
high-profile events to force the issue--hardware and
software hackers doing acts of freedom-oriented civil
disobedience that get them thrown in jail...things
along those general lines. Start planning early.

In the meantime, we need to make the most of the usable
computers that we have. My wife finally gave up on our
increasingly slow 2006-vintage Windows XP Celeron box
and recently purchased a new Windows 7 quad-core. After
I get all of the necessary files moved from the old to
the new hardware, I can start trying out Libre OSes on
the ancient one. I'll mostly be looking at the FSF-approved
list, but I'm not ruling out some BSDs and the like. I
intend to keep you folks posted on my progress.

Joel