Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tack

From: Richard-qbiciii
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tackling Network Effect]
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:00:32 -0400

>Once we realize how easy it is to co-own the Means of Production for
>hosting Free Software, it will be obvious the same can be done for the
>more important issues of food and housing and health-care.

This leads me to confusion on the interpretation of what FREEDOM means to FSF. I also gather from other posts that there is confusion in the organization itself. If that is the case, then how is a clear message ever going to be sent to the masses? Speaking for myself this is how I interpret Freedom as it applies to software and things I purchase.

First freedom <> free. Freedom is rooted in choice. My choices. Hopefully, I have the 'best' of a line of products to choose from. In a totally free market the best will survive, and the inferior will fade away. Where the problem lies is in the rigging of the market. Where the best is kept off the market, and our choices are limited to only what is offered by controlling parties. Our store shelves are full of crap/junk appliances, and our legislatures are fill with crap/junk politicians. All because the process of allowing the best to the marketplace has been subverted and corrupted.

More important than your vote at the ballot box, is the votes you cast everyday with your money. Each purchase is a vote. You vote what business stays or which one goes. Your money has more power than anyone considers. If you don't like TSA.... quit flying. You don't like Wal-Mart... quit spending your money there. Opting-out has more power that all the marches on Washington D.C. Your money is your power.

When you put others in control of your spending (taxes, investments) then you have relinquished your power, your vote is no longer accounted for. If our government had to go door-to-door asking each of us for a money contribution to go and fight a war.... guess what? Instant peace.

There are tonnes of great companies out there that have a better mouse-trap and would do very well if allowed to come to market and compete fairly in a true 'free' market. Money is not bad.... it is a vote of confidence in a open and free market, and people have no problem spending (voting) for the best of the best.

There may be business that would jump on the idea and venue to show off their wares, and want the chance to let the public decide who has the better mouse-trap. They may even throw some cash in the pot.

Freedom is choice... not free. I don't want my choices or money messed with. That is my voice and power.