Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 09:55:43 -0400

Patrick Anderson wrote:
 Miles Fidelman wrote:
 we have plenty of both FOSS Linux and BSD
 distributions, plus a few OpenSolaris varients
 Very few of these fully respect User Freedom.

Really????  What are you basing that on?

In what respect do Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, etc. (Linux), or FreeBSD,
OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD, etc. not fully respect user freedom?

The Solaris world is a little murkier, but there is Illumos.

 It would be very useful if the FSF would coordinate
 a GNU/Linux distribution that both contains only
 Free Software *and* is initially light-weight enough
 to be used on constrained hardware yet with the
 potential for the user to easily add the extra whiz-
 bang features they may want on faster machines.

Seems to me that FSF does plenty - both to develop critical tools in the
FOSS ecosystem, and to promote FOSS.  It's been less successful at
pulling together a full distribution (check your history) - but then,
why does it need to at this point.  There are plenty of distributions to
choose from (isn't that a key part of freedom?) - for FSF to focus on
creating yet another distribution would be a dilution of effort.
Personally, I'd much rather that FSF keep up the good efforts re. gcc,
build tools, and all those other key components that nobody else is
working on.

Miles Fidelman