Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] New GNU
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 21:09:00 +0100

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM, al3xu5 / dotcommon <dotcommon@autistici.org> wrote:
I agree with Jason.

Freedom is *not* a matter of quantity/"popularity" (just to follw the same
example: Ubuntu is very "popular", but it spreads proprietary software,
closed/patented/DRM'd formats and SaaS services...).

Freedom is *not* related with "brand", "marketing" and "image" (please, leave
this terminology, and these bad ways, to corporations that are interested
just only in making money and, be sure, not to our freedom and privacy...).

Instead, in my opinion, if we want freedom we should act to expand the free
software philosophy, also beyond the boundaries of free software and free
licenses, to all aspects (technical and not) related to intangible goods in
general, and digital technologies in particular... and we should act to
increase the knowledge and the awareness of people, so they could regain power
over themselves and their lives, even by mean of the free software...

Increasing the knowledge and awareness of people about some idea is increasing the popularity of that idea. It is in that sense that I see popularity as important.

I don't see why brand, marketing, and image should be tabooed. They are effective ways to spread an idea, whether that idea is good or bad. Why not use them to spread a good idea?

Regards
--
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535