Re: [libreplanet-discuss] new regional group

From: wayne, steve
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] new regional group
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:49:39 -0600

hello? <crick chirping>

wayne

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM, wayne, steve <steven.w.warren@gmail.com> wrote:
hello all,

i am interested in getting a free software advocacy group going in southern illinois. our focus would be twofold: first, we would provide teach-ins about various free software issues (SOPA, secure/restricted boot, how to install free operating systems and use a package manager) at our local independent media center which is currently hosting and managed primarily by folks involved with our local Occupy movement (known as Occupy Carbondale); second, we would provide a point-of-interaction between students at our local univeristy (southern illinois university carbondale) and software hobbyists/professionals in the community by offering code-in events and promoting involvement with larger groups like freeculture.org.

i am contacting this list to seek information and guidance in developing this group from folks with experience. specifically, does the above description sound like it would be a good candidate for a LibrePlanet team? if not, is anyone aware of an existing organizational model that i might use or are there any helpful words of advice?

thanks for your time,

wayne