Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software replacements to Dropbox?

From: C. A. MacFinn
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software replacements to Dropbox?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:11:08 -0400

Excuse me.  *Sparkleshare.
On Sep 23, 2011, at 9:00 AM, Nikos Roussos wrote:

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Anthony Papillion <papillion@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

So I'm working at putting together a 'cloud at home' type of solution
where I move all my current hosted solutions to a home server. So far,
I've been able to replace everything except Dropbox. As a compromise,
I've been using Ubuntu One but I'd really like something that hosts my
data locally but makes it accessible over the web. I'd also really
like it to be free software or at the very least open source.

Currently I'm aware of two solutions: Sparkleshare and Melissi. Sparkleshare depends on git, which is ok for regular files but problematic for music/videos/etc, and I have some privacy concerns because it uses a public irc server for notifications. Melissi is still on alpha version, but it uses the "right" technologies for this kind of thing.

You can also check out Owncloud, but this is based on Webdav so your files are only in the cloud. You can't access them when you are offline. Which I find annoying.

PS. It would be nice to share with us the rest software stack you are currently using on your home server.

--
Nikos Roussos
about | linkedin