Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Pixen Alternative for Linux

From: Daniel Martí
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Pixen Alternative for Linux
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 23:05:25 +0200

Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva <pitanga@members.fsf.org> wrote:

>On 09/06/2011 10:36 PM, Daniel Martí wrote:
>> It's not of their concern. Non-free repos are not part of the install
>> config and onky users who really wish it can add them, to their own
>> risk. Debian clearly states they are not recommended but we accept
>that
>> in some cases the temporal use of non-free software can do some good,
>as
>> in developing free alternatives to it.
>
>I believe that the only legitimate use of non-free software is while in
>the development of a free replacement for it.
>
>Someone who is developing a free software replacement to foo probably
>won't need it to be in a repo to do their work.
>
>> Furthermore, guess why Debian doesn't give away mozilla products,
>which
>> all of your "completely free" distros do. Plus, i believe choice to
>be
>> another freedom.
>
>So does Microsoft.

So microsoft is better than the fully free distros? Specify, please.

>> If you understand the risk and the danger, why
>> shouldn't you be able to decide it yourself? Again, non-free software
>is
>> not considered a long-term solution anyway.
>
>A distribution can never stop users from installing whatever software
>they want in their computer. This is the freedom that free software
>gives you: use your computer as you want.

Agreed.

>Although, distro developers can make a political decision in favour of
>freedom and give up on actively making it easier for users to trap
>themselves with non-free software. They are spending time, resources
>and
>effort in making non-free software available to users in an easy
>fashion. IMHO this is promoting non-free software, not giving freedom
>of
>choice, which users indeed already have by using a(n almost) free
>operating system.

Although i understand what you mean, what about firmware? The collection of
non-free and contrib packages in debian is limited. Imagine you want to use a
free distro but need to have java (openjre doesn't work at times) installed. Or
some wireless driver. Would you rather want him to use windows or mac? Because
if all linux distros do not allow installing non-free software, that's what's
going to happen.

Having said that, debian's head agrees with us on the fact that if holes like
these where free software doesn't work properly with the standards (gnash,
openjre, firmware) were to be solved in the future, we woukd definitely
removing the non-free bits off the repos.