Re: [libreplanet-discuss] A new distrbution of Free Software for WIndows

From: Grant H.
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] A new distrbution of Free Software for WIndows
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 14:22:21 -0700

libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org

I don't know about a ruinous comprimise.  Lets say a friend asks me to
come over and help them work on their computer.  I see two possible
scenarios:

1) Most likely it is a windows computer.  I would likely explain as a
Free Software user that I don't support non-free software (although I
know how because I used to use windows before I found Free Software).  I
explain that they could install a Trisquel GNU/Linux system or other
Free distro and explain about Free Software.  They probably won't take
me up on the offer.  This is because this is the equivalent to telling
them that everything they know is wrong (at least from that person's
perspective) and they have to basically start over and where everything
is different and unfamiliar.

2)  Same situation they ask me to come over for help.  I find their
microsoft office is screwy for whatever reason.  I explain what Free
Software is and help them install libre office.  I find they will be a
lot less resistant to that and you can explain to them why Free Software
is advantageous at the same time.  While it isn't an ideal situation
(that being situation one where the person says yes to installing a
GNU/Linux system) it is far more likely to work.  Secondly it is good
because a non-free program got replaced with a free program.

Just some thoughts.  Having a CD full of Free Software I would find
useful if a friend asked me for help.  If they asked me for help wit
their browser I could install icecat and then recommend they also check
out LibreOffice and GIMP.  That may be enough to get the ball rolling
and a good conversation started.

--
*Grant H.
*Email: ghoulgat@alumni.uci.edu