Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Mission statement

From: Carolina Flores Hine
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Mission statement
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:20:35 -0600

On 06/24/2010 08:07 PM, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 15:47, John Sullivan<johns@fsf.org>  wrote:
Danny Piccirillo<danny.piccirillo@member.fsf.org>  writes:

How about: "The LibrePlanet project exists to build a global network
of activists organized around furthering the ideals of software
freedom and related issues concerning digital rights as necessary
means for a free society."

All of these might need some tweaking but let me know if you agree
with the overall idea or not.
How about:

The mission of the LibrePlanet project is to build a global network of
local groups contributing to the advancement of free society, by
promoting free software ideals.
The main point of my email was that our mission statement should be
concise and broad. This statement which more specifically defines what
we do should *supplement* the mission statement.

Because:

1) The emphasis on local groups is a critical part of the project's
identity,
Hm, is it? It may be the #1 main activity of LibrePlanet, and it may
be 95% of what LP activists see and do, but i think our's scope goes
beyond that. Two examples off the top of my head are the
FSF-community-team and GNU Social which are both organized on
LibrePlanet.
I don't know if it's a critical part of the identity, since I am new here. But I think, even if this may not be a critical part, it should be part of the goals (to bring more local groups).

2) I don't like the "digital rights" language -- it pigeonholes freedoms
that are more fundamental; there is nothing "digital" about the right to
share useful stuff with other people, and
Makes sense. That should be removed.
+1

3) I like the idea of including free society.
Me too =]

How about:

The mission of LibrePlanet project is to build a global network of
local groups contributing to the advancement of free society, by
promoting free software ideals.
The mission statement should be short like "to further free software
for a free society"

I agree

This can be supplemented by a statement like "The LibrePlanet project
exists to build a global network of activists working together to
further the ideals of software freedom and related issues as necessary
means for a free society." but this should not be the mission itself.

+1

Again, our slogan could be "Free as in freedom" and/or "Working
together for free software"

We could then include a very short paragraph about libreplanet's work
organizing local groups, as well as make sure the whole of the LP wiki
focuses on that.