Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software Freedom Day... what's happening in Ca

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software Freedom Day... what's happening in Cambridge Massachusetts?...
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:32:56 -0400

Don Saklad wrote:
> Regarding Software Freedom Day, what's happening in Cambridge
> Massachusetts?...

Software Freedom Day (http://softwarefreedomday.org/) is an
international holiday dedicated to celebrating software freedom. New to
GNU/Linux or just looking for some more tips on getting the most out of
free software? We promise you'll learn something important if you
attend.

Boston's SFD will be a day-long public event focused on celebrating
software freedom. Last year we had an awesome event in Boston at
Encuentro 5 in Chinatown (http://www.encuentro5.org/home/) and we'll be
returning there this year. The festivities start at 10am and we'll
finish at about 5:00p. I hope you can join us because Walter Bender, the
founder and executive director of Sugar Labs, is our featured speaker.
He'll be talking about "Turtle Art," the free software platform that's
part of the Sugar operating system. It started shipping on the OLPC in
2007 and is intended as stepping stone to LOGO for kids.

Our campaigns team will be on hand to share the latest news about the
Windows 7 Sins campaign (http://windows7sins.org/), our anti-DRM
campaign Defective By Design (http://defectivebydesign.org/), the
struggle for free video formats (http://playogg.org) and our work to
stop software patents (http://endsoftpatents.org/). Plus, if Richard
Stallman's flight back to the US isn't delayed, he hopes to make an
appearance and have a chat.

We'll be asking folks to participate in video documentary of this year's
festivities. We're hosting workshops on the free phone of the future and
free website building, so you may want to bring your phone or your
laptop or both! Lunch is provided by us and lightning talks are provided
by you.

Software Freedom Day
September 19th, 10am-5pm
at Encuentro 5
33 Harrison Ave, floor 5, Boston, MA 02111

Feel free to contact membership@fsf.org with questions or to RSVP,
thanks!

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny