libredwg

Re: [libredwg] Student Introduction

From: .Org.Com
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Student Introduction
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:14:33 +0530

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM, gagan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am Gaganjyot, a student of GND Engineering College, Punjab , India
> pursuing Polytechnic Diploma in Mechanical Engineering currently in
> the Final year. I am really interested into doing a project involving
> CAD/CAM and Programming.

Nice.

> I am well-versed in Python , PHP and Shell scripting.

That is wonderful.

> Currently studying C/C++

That is again nice; but looks awkward. Most students first study
C/C++, and then lean Python and PHP; but you are following reverse
order; swimming against currents ;-)

Anyway, it always good to learn good languages.

> and moreover being a mechanical
> engineer , I have skills for using AutoCAD , BRL-CAD , FreeCAD and
> LibreCAD.I have a thight grip on SolidWorks. My this year project was
> totally designed using SolidWorks and then was brought to reality. I
> strongly believe in the principles of FOSS and am really enthused
> about people working together, sharing the source code and learning a
> lot in the end!

It seems that you are meant for this project ;-)

> Considering my previous work and my intrest I would like to
> participate in GSoC this year with LibreDWG.

Do man.

>I am a user of LibreDWG
> and it sometimes feels hard to integrate it in other applications. I
> would like to create an API for the LibreDWG library , So that others
> can integrate it , create new CAD programs for linux and OpenSource
> CAD + Linux set up a new height.I would like to hear from you all and
> will appreciate your help for creating and enhancing my proposal.

Prepare proposal, and submit at:

 http://www.google-melange.com

> Following are some of my contributions to the world of FOSS:
>
> It is a Finite element analysis software , We made it run through a
> web browser. Enter a FElt format file and get the analysis done online
> :-
>
> https://github.com/gaganjyot/felt-online
>
> Working Demo :-
>
> http://202.164.53.122/~gagan/felt/

Could not use it; as I there is no sample file me to upload.

> This is an online gear designer , Just enter the module of gear ,
> Number of teeth and PCD of gear and get a DXF format file as an output
> which can be opened in AutoCAD , LibreCAD , FreeCAD , and can be
> exported for brlcad.
>
> https://github.com/GreatDevelopers/wBRLCAD/tree/exp/mechanical
>
> Working demo :-
>
> http://devplace.in/~gagan/work/mechanical/gear/

I tried it. SVG file opened in browser (FireFox and Chromium), showing
text along with warning:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information
associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

However, downloaded opened in Image Viewer of GNOME (eog), but showed
one forth of a circular object, however dxf from zipped file, opened
in LibreCAD fine.

> This is an online building generator , It designs a building frame (
> skeleton ) for civil engineers , It also produces a brlcad database ,
> a staad pro analysis file , a FElt format file ( again for analysis )
> and also outputted analysis of the building. This can be further used
> by AutoCAD , LibreCAD , FreeCAD ( By exporting to dxf format ).
>
> Demo :-
>
> http://202.164.53.122/~gagan/building/
>
> This one is my first example with web and CAD, It generated columns
> and beams for civil engineers , file format was for BRL-CAD , Though
> could be exported to dxf , step , Acad and various other formats (
> Refer BRL-CAD for exporting )
>
> Demo :-
>
> http://devplace.in/~gagan/work/civil/main/

Really wonderful!