libredwg

Re: [libredwg] ODA Open Design Specification for .dwg files updated

From: Frank Warmerdam
Subject: Re: [libredwg] ODA Open Design Specification for .dwg files updated
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:27:39 -0700

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Duncan Lithgow
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Den 03/07/2011 18.29 skrev "Felipe Castro" <address@hidden>:
>
> I wouldn't mind. What is the problem to use an idea? Is it under some
> patent, anyway?
> If they failed to keep their "secrets", they... failed.

Felipe,

I disagree.  If you manage to find a confidential document on the
web and build based on the information in it, you put the project
in a kind of jeopardy where folks won't feel safe using it for fear
of getting sued in the future.

> If someone from ODA comes here and contributes, would someone argue
> about from where comes his knowledge?

I believe real GNU projects require signed contribution agreements from all
contributors.  I'm not sure if this applies to this project, but without out it
you do run the risk of some sorts of contributions poisoning the well.  So,
I would argue that yes, if someone from ODA wants to contribute it would
be wise of the project to get a commitment that they have the right to
contribute their changes, and that it is offered under the project
license.

Failure to be cautious about matters such as these can limit the
reusability of the project.  I don't know if that matters to you, but
it is of concern to me.

Best regards,

I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, address@hidden