libredwg

Re: [libredwg] Re: [cad-linux] Re: FSF priority project for dwg reading

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [libredwg] Re: [cad-linux] Re: FSF priority project for dwg reading support
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:06:18 +0200

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Please read "I don't fully agree. For two reasons: one, converting
> from DWG to *DXF*
> potentially causes data loss, since *DXF* is a subset of DWG."

>> Sure! We definitely need people to test with their files, since every
>> file can potentially have a structure that we haven't tested before.

>> Yes, I am =]
>>
>>> I was wondering whether they are aware of the efforts in Blender-world
>>>
>>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.4/Py/Scripts/Import/DXF-3D
>>>
>>> where a lot of work has been done on importing dxf, assuming that anyone
>>> generating dwg can also generate dxf. And - in the worst case, where you
>>> get the dwg from someone, I can confirm that the dwg-dxf converter they
>>> use works perfectly fine in wine as a workaround. My guess is that the
>>> chances to get someone export a dxf instead of a dwg is just as high as
>>> having him export the specific 2000 format that the developers try to
>>> support. Still, why not have a group try to support dwg directly, while
>>> dxf import improves faster and more relieable.

I think it would be a great thing to have the test case also render
the results with dxf and load into blender. I also have a dxf2osm
(twonickels on github) tool we can use to produce osm data and then
render that as well. of course the projection would be off, but for
standalone data it does not matter.

Lets setup a nightly testing suite for running all tests every day (or
for major commits)
some type of continuous integration.
if you give me a server account to run it on, i will set up some tests.

mike