Re: [Libreboot] libreboot is not GNU Libreboot anymore

From: Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] libreboot is not GNU Libreboot anymore
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 00:13:24 +0300

On 17.09.2016 19:50, Leah Rowe wrote:
>> The Free Software Foundation recently fired  a transgendered employee of
>> the FSF, just for being trans, because some transphobic cissexist people
>> wrote negativly about her. The FSF fired her because they thougdt she,
>> rather than the assholes bullying her, was causing the FSF potential
>> damage. As a result, she was fired from the FSF.
>
> We've now issued our own public statement, on the libreboot website:
> https://libreboot.org/gnu/

Since this thread started, I feel like I'm in a nightmare and that this
scandal can't be real.

I'm bisexual and I'm no stranger to discrimination, but knowing FSF's
inclusive policy towards minorities which are also stated in their job
opening announcements and their conference LibrePlanet safe space
policy, and RMS' strong opposition to prejudice, I don't believe these
accusations.

http://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-job-opportunity-operations-assistant-2016
https://libreplanet.org/2016/safe-space-policy/

Especially since no proof has been provided and the person making the
accusations was not an eyewitness. A summary of the negative things that
were written about the transgender former employee could shed some light
on the true reasons she was fired. And in my opinion such a summary can
be made skipping details which could have the potential to reveal her
identity.

To better understand the context, I've done some research and
considering that FSF has a relatively small staff and that the staff is
encouraged to work transparently, I could easily find public records
showing that the transgender former employee and Stephen Mahood have
worked together on tasks in the past and that she was happy about the
experience. Also, it's hard to believe that an outreach and
communication coordinator how have previously worked with radical social
justice organizations can show prejudice towards trans colleagues at
work. What I suspect is that there has been a fight/tension between
colleagues and this sort of things happen. I don't believe it was a
prejudice against trans.

Now, about Libreboot leaving GNU soon after joining the project. I'm
truly sorry the maintainer decided this, because this affects the image
of all three projects (Libreboot, GNU and FSF). I hope she consulted
with the Libreboot developers, checked what FSF has to say about these
accusations and let GNU leadership know about her intention before
taking publicly such a radical action.

https://libreboot.org/contrib/

Regarding some of the actions proposed. "Spread the word about this
injustice". If I had more than one non-eyewitness' statement and had
some proof to make me doubt FSF, I would believe that firing that
employee was an injustice and that it needs to be made known. But how am
I to convince other people if I don't have any facts to point to
discrimination?

"Other GNU projects should also leave GNU". GNU is the reason why we all
are in the free software movement and why we are able to continue having
freedom in computing. GNU is mostly run by volunteers, including its
leader RMS. FSF is the organization that provides infrastructure and is
the main fundraiser/sponsor for GNU, but GNU is older and much bigger
than FSF and many other people and organizations contribute to GNU.

Now, about refunding the donations made to FSF since 2015. I can't be
the only person realizing that FSF has been one of the main reasons
Libreboot was started and has been the biggest promoter of Libreboot
ever since. Through their RYF certification, FSF has been instrumental
to the success and financial stability of the Libreboot project and her
lead developer. In my opinion those donations were well deserved.
Moreover, donations to nonprofits are non-refundable.

Last, but not least, I find it strange that while Libreboot lead
developer has taken a series of actions to delimit herself and the
project from FSF and GNU:
* announcing that Libreboot is leaving GNU
* requesting to have her FSF membership revoked
* stopping donations and requesting a full refund
* boycotting FSF and GNU,
she hasn't requested the FSF's RYF certification of the Libreboot
laptops be revoked.

I wish this year's Software Freedom Day would have been happier, like in
previous years. After all, SFD is celebrated in the same month GNU
project was announced. In a positive note, I invite you to watch this
RMS' small video released with the occasion:

https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/m/richard-stallman-explains-free-software-on-software-freedom-day-2016/

Happy hacking,
--
Tiberiu