Re: [Libreboot] new T400 beta ROMs for testing

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] new T400 beta ROMs for testing
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 08:22:26 +0100

Hi Marcel,

Op 10/08/16 om 00:30 schreef Marcel Maci:

> Hi Leah I flashed version experimental-96-g196d903 on my T400 and
> the results are very positive. I get: - no grub but graphical
> screen which is smaller than the display, no mouse - since I have
> encrypted disk I have then to switch to the text console to enter
> the passphrase - after that the system continues booting and I get
> full resolution login screen of Trisquel - I can switch between lcd
> and external monitor and adjust the brightness - everything works
> (which is great)!

Thanks.

This is expected behaviour on some T400 screens, where GRUB is garbled
or doesn't have a display at all, but GNU/Linux works just fine. You
can use an EHCI debug dongle for text mode serial console in GRUB if
you have that. This issue will probably be fixed after the release,
since it's only considered a minor annoyance and not a blocker for
release.

> Strangely, I noticed that my wifi doesn't work any more - but maybe
> that's another problem and has nothing to do with the new version
> (?!) I send you the cbmem -c file as an attachment. Thx a lot -
> that's really good news for me!

I don't think this has anything to do with libreboot, since we
hardcode-enable it. I checked and the patch should still have been
applied when building this snapshot. On the front of the laptop on the
left side, near the touchpad, there is a small on/off switch for the
wifi which might have been set to off accidentally. Otherwise, "sudo
rfkill list" can help you determine what the problem is.

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free operating system, GNU/Linux.
https://www.gnu.org/

Use a free BIOS.
https://libreboot.org/

Support freedom. Join the Free Software Foundation.
https://fsf.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: http://minifree.org/