Re: [Libreboot] Zero-day vulnerability - system management mode arbitrar

From: Duncan Guthrie
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Zero-day vulnerability - system management mode arbitrary code execution
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 01:34:10 +0100

Hi all,
All right, reading the article, it seems one of the given exploits can disable
SPI flash write-protection mechanisms. This might mean that we can install
Libreboot/Coreboot without an external flash tool on systems with proprietary
BIOS.
I will read it more carefully, and test this on my Lenovo X200, which has
proprietary BIOS installed. If it doesn't work one suspects it will just refuse
access to me. If it does, this is very useful, even if the rest of the exploits
don't remove ME from recent models.
Hope this helps anyone,
D.