Re: [Libreboot] I found a workaround to cryptomount problem with DVD dri

From: Ministry of Freedom
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] I found a workaround to cryptomount problem with DVD drive
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:47:16 +0100

thanks. i added a note about this to the guides

Op 28/04/16 om 08:12 schreef Daniel Tarrero:
> ey! that got all sense 8) everybody is kung-fu fighting this
> morning =)
>
> seem that, given the dvd is attached, the device mapping might
> change and mess up grub if its configured to point to "the old
> style" namming convention (something like hd(0,0) or hd(1,0) i
> think). This namming can change when you (re)move hardware.
>
> As you point us, using the suuuuuuuuuuuupper uuids (where the units
> are mapped given a 'label' within the same drive, so it always get
> the same name regardless it's position, bus, its removed or moved
> to another machine. Something like
> 129436932769-12396128376128-12973651267 that i can remember ^^
>
> nice to learn it solves this issue 8) D
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 09:20:42PM +0200, Fil wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> my name's Fil and I just joined this list. I just wanted to tell
>> you all, I have found a workaround for the problem described at
>> https://libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/encrypted_trisquel.html#troublesh
ooting

Last week I received from Francis (at last!) my libreboot-powered
>> Minifree T400, and I installed Trisquel with full disk
>> encryption. As stated in the page linked above, I had some issues
>> while mounting the encrypted volume using cryptomount -a in
>> GRUB. The problem was indeed the DVD drive. Removing it while
>> booting worked around the problem, but removing it before every
>> startup is a bit of a hassle, so... I had a little bit of
>> think-about-it and.. just changing the cryptomount command in
>> grub.cfg solved the issue!!! I changed "cryptomount -a" to
>> "cryptomount -u <disk UUID>", flashed the modded ROM... et voila!
>> Now the encrypted volume gets mounted correctly, even with the
>> DVD drive in place.
>>
>> I think the problem was that cryptomount -a tries to decrypt ALL
>> volumes, so maybe it was searching for encrypted volumes on the
>> DVD, thus timing out.
>>
>> I already told Francis about this, but I thought to share this
>> workaround with the community, hoping It can help someone!
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Fil

- --
Libreboot developer
Freenode IRC nick (#libreboot): vimuser

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free operating system, GNU/Linux.
https://www.gnu.org/

Use a free BIOS.
https://libreboot.org/

Support freedom. Join the Free Software Foundation.
https://fsf.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: http://minifree.org/