Re: [Libreboot] Operating System for Asus C201

From: Daniel Tarrero
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Operating System for Asus C201
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 11:03:28 +0200

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 07:29:00PM +0200, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
> El Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 06:32:11PM +0200, Robin Vobruba deia:
> > as i understand, (one of) the main things to do is writing and
> > maintaining a linux-libre deblob script for the chromium kernel
> > sources, as these sources are quite different form the main-kernel
> > sources, for which such scripts exist.
> > a thread on the trisquel forum is here:
> > https://trisquel.info/en/forum/what-are-problems-asus-chromebook-c201
> >
> > relating to one comment on the forum, it might make sense to donate an
> > asus C201 to the trisquel devs (or maybe the linux-libre script
> > maintainers), in the case that money is something you have a lot of.
> >

> I haven't looked and may miss many things, but wouldn't it be easier
> to just use linux-libre proper and maybe uboot or grub or some other
> bootloader that does not require Chrome specific kernels ? I read there
> that depthcharge requires a chrome kernel, and it might make sense
> with what Google tries to do there, but if you're changing coreboot
> for libreboot, ChromeOS for Debian, and want a 100% free kernel,
> you could change libreboot payload and load a linux-libre. Or maybe
> modify depthcharge. Or do you require some functionality in depthcharge ?
> (like signature verification or so?).

easy is better than complicated =)
agree, the main benefit from usign Chrome kernel is that it's signed (tampering
protection).
That implies you believe in who compile this kernel that it is what it is.

> Apparently some functionally would be missing (they say wifi requires
> blobs "and other things") but maybe it can be worked around (minifree
> sells wifi USB adapters that work with 100% FS, I believe ?).

agree, people talk about that the only binary/blob really required fo a
functionallity is wifi related.
with a usb nic you will be able to remove all blobs without loosing functions.

> I don't have the firmware and have never used coreboot/libreboot on ARM,
> so don't trust me too much on this. It just looked simpler to me,
> maybe because I ignore some obvious problem.

me neither ^^
glgl :)