Re: [Libreboot] libreboot first-impressions

From: Robert Alessi
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] libreboot first-impressions
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 10:57:14 +0100

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 10:04:54PM +0100, Michał Masłowski wrote:
> > 1. Noise!

At least in my case, powertop refused to start (I have to say that I
didn't try to 'calibrate' it).  However, the following removed all of
the noise on my X60s:
- use linux-libre-lts kernel (very important)
- use tlp (see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tlp)
- in /etc/default/tlp specify: 'USB_BLACKLIST_WWAN=0' (line 153)

This removed all of the noise in my case.  If you do the same with the
current 'linux-libre' kernel, you will still have some noise, unless
you set brightness of the screen to 100%.

> > 2. Runs Hot

How hot?  What does 'sensors' say?  You may have a high CPU load for
some reason.  The 'top' program may help you to figure out what it is.