Re: [Libreboot] Booting Windows on x60

From: hede
Subject: Re: [Libreboot] Booting Windows on x60
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 16:53:16 +0100

Am Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:56:25 +0000 schrieb The Gluglug <address@hidden>:

> If you do brick your X60, libreboot has a guide in it's documentation
> for recovery, as does the coreboot wiki. You'll be fine.

I've seen that. But I'm missing some of the hardware needed to unbrick.

As soon as I have the hardware to unbrick it in case of emergency, I will play
with self compiled coreboot and libreboot, to get a feeling what's possible
with free software, with and without binary blobs.

btw: I prefer getting new (proprietary) microcode updates from Intel instead of
running the old buggy one (which is either way running because Intel CPUs are
proprietary microcode based CPUs.)

Likewise with my hardware: if my proprietary hardware runs better with
proprietary firmware - I'm using them. (Thus for me it's ok to use Debian or
Arch Linux instead of their stripped variants.)

For the time being I will stick with the precompiled libreboot even if it has
some bugs, i.e.:
 - Ethernet (e1000e) sometimes is non-functional - no link - even the physical
LEDs remain off with a cable connected.
 - Some USB devices sometimes don't get recognized while plugging in (no lsusb
entry nor anything in dmesg). That's wired, because some devices are fine (USB
memory sticks) while other devices (mouse, smartcard reader, headset) are
non-functional.

Both seem to be related with S2R and occurred only with Arch (linux 3.17) so
far, not Debian (linux 3.2). After reboot it's working again.

regards
hede