libreboot-dev

Re: [Libreboot-dev] release candidate for first 2016 libreboot release

From: Johannes Krampf
Subject: Re: [Libreboot-dev] release candidate for first 2016 libreboot release
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 22:06:47 +0200

Hi Leah!

I tested on x200_8mb and t400_8mb. (I'm happy to provide more detailed specs if that would be helpful.)

x200 with Trisquel:
* boots GRUB ✓
* boots GNU/Linux properly as before ✓
* no weird issues ✓
* suspend ✓
* text mode ✓

t400 with Parabola:
* boots GRUB ✓
* boots GNU/Linux properly as before ✗
* no weird issues ✗
* suspend ✗
* text mode (not tested)

My T400 has a DVD drive. Grub starts successfully and the first boot option is automatically selected.

At this stage I can observe the (pretty!) picture of the GNU and the penguin for multiple (at least 5) minutes. I didn't wait to see if there's a timeout.

If I remove the DVD drive, there's a delay of a few seconds after the first boot options was selected. This was not the case on the x200. Then I see number of messages like "errors: disk ata2,1 not found" and finally "Press any key to continue..." on the screen before the operating system (OS) is booted. Contrary to the message, the OS is booted without requiring a key press.

During the OS boot I see a number of error messages:
DMAR: Failed to map dmar2
i915 0000:00:02.0: Invalid ROM contents
[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun

They don't seem to have any ill effects. The "Invalid ROM contents" message is also shown on the x200.

When I insert the DVD drive after boot, some errors are shown, but the drive works after an (automatic) hard reset of the SATA link and I was able to play an audio CD.

Suspend works, but resume unfortunately does not. When the machine should resume, I hear a brief DVD drive noise, but the screen stays black and the sleep LED keeps lit. The power LEDs are also lit. Pressing the power button briefly or closing and opening the lid have no effect.

Note that I previously used a custom grub.cfg which directly booted my kernel and did not need to enumerate devices for a delay-free boot on the T400. I had issues with resume previously.

I have a docking station and tried to compile a custom coreboot with serial logging to investigate the resume failure, but I bricked the machine each time. Unbricking means taking the whole machine apart and is not fun.

I would like to solder wires to the flash chip so I don't have to take the machine apart each time, but there's only little space between one row of pins and the memory socket and I'm not confident enough in my rudimentary soldering skills. :-(

Anyway, I'm happy to perform further tests, but I would prefer to keep the need to unbrick to a minimum.

- Johannes