libreboot-dev

Re: [Libreboot-dev] c3 and c4 states for macbooks

From: Arthur Heymans
Subject: Re: [Libreboot-dev] c3 and c4 states for macbooks
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 18:06:38 +0200

Hi

This is not tested. But since it is supposed to be cpu thing and not a
mb thing I believe this to be no problem.

How bricked was it? brick like no grub or hangs in or while booting
GNU/linux?
If it hangs in gnu/linux then it possible to disable cstates all
together while booting by adding "processor.max_cstate=0" in kernel
arguments and flash back your working image.
It would then also be interesting to know which c-state causes problems.
try to disable just c4 by adding "processor.max_cstate=3" in the kernel
argument.

Kind regards

Albin <address@hidden> writes:

> This is awesome news, Arthur, but has it been tested?  Do you have a
> macbook2,1 yourself?
>
> I've been waiting a long time for this.  Two years ago I tried the first
> libreboot version for the macbook2,1 which had no c states at all and
> got 85--90 degrees hot.  Then I tried Leah's experimental ROM which was
> created, I believe, like you've done it -- by copying the c-state values
> from the x60.  This didn't work, however, and my computer got bricked.
> I've since unbricked it but I'm hesitant to try it again, unless
> somebody could prepare an image with a working fallback mechanism.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Albin
>

> Den 2016-05-17 kl. 11:47, skrev Arthur Heymans:
>> Hi
>>
>> Now the macbook have up to c2 states. This patch just makes the c-states
>> entries identical to the x60/t60.
>>
>> This should just work as it cpu-specific and those targets have cpu's
>> that support those low power states
>>

>> This would make the macbooks run cooler and have a longer battery on not
>> cpu intensive work.

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--
Arthur Heymans