libreboot-dev

Re: [Libreboot-dev] about Intel ME

From: Serge
Subject: Re: [Libreboot-dev] about Intel ME
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 19:06:02 +0700

Hi everybody,
Our discussion become even more important in the light of the new
hacking scandal.
Somebody hacked the Hacking Team,
according to Wiki its private sector company that sells its services
to individual and even oppressive governments that violate human
rights.
> Hacking Team has been criticized for selling its products and services to
> governments with poor human rights records, including Sudan, Bahrain, and
> Saudi Arabia.[17]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking_Team

They have dangerous exploits capable of penetration of firmware like
routers and even of permanent infection of UEFI ROM modules, making
impossible to clean the machine, just by reformatting / reinstalling
the OS.
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/hacking-team-uses-uefi-bios-rootkit-to-keep-rcs-9-agent-in-target-systems/

Thats why technology like Intel ME should never exist.
Just lets assume that somebody did hack into the Intel ME and is
capable to get remote control over the system...