libreboot-dev

[Libreboot-dev] about Intel ME

From: Serge
Subject: [Libreboot-dev] about Intel ME
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 02:30:59 +0700

Dear libreboot team!
thanks for all your hard work
I recently just realized that modern CPUs are flawed by design,
they now include separate chip having access to everything...
that is horrible! I see threat to all free software movement, its a
nightmare in case of traditional systems I had a choice I could run
GNU/Linux or use proprietary OS but now even if I boot free OS,  there
is private code running in the cpu 24/7 even if I poweroff my
system... I cannot even see this code as its archived, I cannot make
my own as its signed...
that is a nightmare!!... Nobody speaks publicly, masses are totally
unaware of it...
And now there are no x86 alternatives as AMD is flawed with PSP as well...
And this ME (govt. backdoor?) is created in such way it cannot be
easily disabled.
Even if it is designed to use with respect to the law, in "lawful
ways" - it still can be exploited and used by hackers, by exploiting
bugs, or problems with system design.... that would give them ABSOLUTE
silent control over any system world wide...
I fear of end-of-the-world scenario, where some VIRUS for this ME cpu
is spreading like a disease with wifi beam, and then simultaneously
disables every modern intel SoC on the planet...
Especially, if it messes with the wifi module firmware in
autonomous way. Any code just could be beamed into any laptop system
even in poweroff state.
Maybe we can sign a petition to Intel?
What we need to do?
We really need an open hardware to ensure safety (maybe FPGA based
system? is there any alternatives powerful enough to run linux with X
for typical workflow using word processor, watching HD movies, etc)
p.s. why everybody accepted it so silently?
say if government would pass a bill to lawfully install a CCTV set in
every household for "official surveillance" it would create mass
protests! Fights and debates for civil rights.
But this Intel ME / AMD PSP - is the same! And even Worse in many
ways. Much worse.
Doing open surveillance could be legitimate (in Orwellian society, but
still) - but doing this concealed CPU with FULL remote access to
system and network and without any way to DISABLE IT - is something
totally insane! Hackers could create virus for this cpu...
I even still cannot believe that this is real.. (but it is) And  just
went unnoticed, under the radar..
sincerely
Sergey