Re: [libmicrohttpd] clang formatting discussion via [gnunet-developers]

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] clang formatting discussion via [gnunet-developers]
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 09:32:22 +0000

address@hidden transcribed 9.3K bytes:
> Christian Grothoff transcribed 11K bytes:
> > Dear MHD hackers,
> >
> > There has been a (long-ish) discussion about using clang-format for
> > source formatting among the GNUnet developers.  WDYT about applying the
> > same/similar rules to GNU libmicrohttpd and also enforcing them via Git
> > hooks on commit? I've attached the .clang-format file that resulted from
> > the GNUnet discussion here.
>
> Did you reach any consensus on this discussion here?
> I'm already clang-formatting my code for lmhd but no
> .clang-format exists in the repository.

I've noticed another issue in clang-format from llvm-project.git
54763e44532feb72bf773260b377f2a0bacf0e0c and base llvm+clang+... version 7.0:

If you have a couple of preprocessor #if directives, and you conditionally
close if conditions not in the same #if block, clang-format assumes the
if conditions are never closed.

example:

#if HAVE_FOO
if (something) {
        foo;
        if (otherthing) {
                foo;
#endif
#if HAVE_BAR
if (newthing) {
        bar;
        if (newthing) {
                bar;
#endif
} else {
        errx(1, "Error: %s", bla);
}
}

This could be an error with clang-format, or my mixture
of versions (which otherwise works alright).