Re: [libmicrohttpd] "updates to proposed API based on discussions with E

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] "updates to proposed API based on discussions with EG"
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 19:31:09 +0200

On 08/21/2017 07:25 PM, silvioprog wrote:
> Hello duddes. :-)
>
> I'm very exited with this news and I'm following each new commit. I
> would be glad to read these discussions because I've learned a lot with
> them.

Well, to be honest I am more frank (both in terms of admitting that I'm
wrong as well as insisting I'm right) when I am not sending a message to
a mailinglist with 100+ participants. As a very frank discussion was
called for, I ran the initial discussions with Evgeny in private.
However, I do think it is time to add more brains, as the discussions
between Evgeny and me seem to have largely converged. (We don't agree
100%, but IMO the delta is pretty small and it would be unwise to bias
the discussion here by exposing it.)

So let's finally open the discussion here!

As Silvio observed by watching Git, Evgeny and I have been discussing
what the next MHD API should look like. Basically, the existing API has
evolved to be almost 100% backwards compatible since MHD 0.0.0, and it
is time to fix my mistakes from the past: I am sure we can create an API
that is more intuitive, easier to use, more secure to use, and will even
improve performance. Furthermore, we want the migration from the
existing API to the new one to be painless: (1) support a superset of
the features, (2) have the library implement both API-styles for a while
(years!) so that applications can migrate to the new style when it
becomes available on all the platforms they care about.

With these high level goals in mind, Evgeny and I analyzed issues with
the current API and wrote a new one. You can find it in Git under
"src/include/microhttpd2.h" (that's not what the header will be called
in the end, I plan to merge it with microhttpd.h once it is actually
implemented).

So, if you care about the future of MHD, please have a look, read our
comments, study the API, and provide us with constructive feedback!

Thanks!

Christian