[libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd binary size?

From: Glenn
Subject: [libmicrohttpd] libmicrohttpd binary size?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:13:27 -0800

I've been getting familiar with libmicrohttpd and the more more I understand
it, the more I like it. One thing I haven't been able to figure out, though, is
why the binaries I've been able to build are so large.

Executing './configure --disable-https --disable-messages
--disable-postprocessor --disable-dauth', then 'make' (CFLAGS=-Os
-fomit-frame-pointer in my environment) and finally 'sudo make install' results
in sizes of 152226 and 122697 for libmicrohttpd.a and libmicrohttpd.so.10.14.0,
respectively. (Linux Ubuntu 11.10, Intel i686 32 bit, gcc 4.5.4). --Not exactly
the 32k that is advertised.

Can someone provide a pointer to where this has already been discussed? If not,
then maybe someone can answer directly: Why are my libmicrohttpd binaries so
big?

I'm thinking of using this library in an embedded system with very little
memory available.

Glenn