Re: [libmicrohttpd] connection statistics

From: Will Bryant
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] connection statistics
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 00:46:04 +1300

FWIW, Eivind isn't the only one who would use this - I needed it for my app to
produce app monitoring statistics.  (This sort of thing is a requirement for
devops - we only have one infrastructure component in production that is not
capable of instrumenting itself, and we're writing it out.)

I ended up adding the following patch:

unsigned int MHD_count_active_connections(struct MHD_Daemon *daemon) {
        struct MHD_Connection *connection;
        unsigned int result = 0;
        if (pthread_mutex_lock(&daemon->cleanup_connection_mutex) != 0) return
0;
        connection = daemon->connections_head;
        while (connection) { connection = connection->next; result++; }
        if (pthread_mutex_unlock(&daemon->cleanup_connection_mutex) != 0)
return 0;
        return result;
}

Although I don't like O(n) methods, for my app's use case this is acceptable.
Of course, if I were rolling this patch into the library, I'd make it a
MHD_DaemonInfo option to MHD_get_daemon_info, but as a patch it's easier to
maintain as a separate method.

Counting requests would be more complicated, but you can much more easily count
request starts and request completions using the provided callbacks, so if that
is an acceptable definition of active requests the difference between those and
the connection count can give you the number of inactive connections.

Yes, the OS can count active connections.  But I don't have to rewrite my
monitoring code and test harness code to work on three OSs with their own
netstat formats, so it's much easier to get it from the app itself.