liberty-eiffel

Re: [Liberty-eiffel] GSOC 2016

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] GSOC 2016
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 22:12:18 +0100

Hello Pabitra,
hello all,

sorry for not responding earlier. These days are quite busy and I have
quite some contact with different students.

Hans has already contacted you privately, so let me just add some
general comments, which might be interesting for other interested
students:

- only ONE student is allowed per topic, no team work and also not two
students working on the same thing - this wouldn't be of much use and
finally a waste of the effort of one of them

- if several students make a proposal on the same idea we have to choose
on the basis of the better proposal, so please also focus on quality.
Form and wording is not the most relevant thing in my eyes, but it might
be the final reason to choose one or the other

- we have only limited number of mentors and also the number of slots
assigned by google is not known in advance, so you have to expect, that
some proposals are rejected, even if they are good ones

- you CAN submit up to 5 proposals, which can to be to different
organizations, different projects under the same umbrella org (GNU in
our case) or just different ideas within LibertyEiffel, which can
improve the chance for you to be selected.

- it is good to submit a draft proposal and ask for comments - you can
even do this publicly, if someone copies from you, we will notice and
Open Source development is about collaboration.

- if you have concrete questions, we are willing to help for
clarification of the ideas now, commenting on the proposal and support
you through the project. But it's not worth the effort spamming us with
many emails with just bla bla in it. So be patient. And yes, the ideas
on http://wiki.liberty-eiffel.org/index.php/GSoC are ideas, that should
help YOU to come up with a proposal of what YOU think how YOU can help
LibertyEiffel. Really, it is not about elaborating on our ideas, but you
should show that "your heart burns for your proposal".

finally:
it is also great to come up with a completely own proposal, but of
course it is helpful to contact potential mentors early for feedback -
you can also use this mailing list to come up with suggestions...

Cheers,
Rapha