liberty-eiffel

Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Eclipse Plugin for Liberty Eiffel

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Eclipse Plugin for Liberty Eiffel
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 22:11:49 +0100

Hi,

I hope many of you participate in this discussion and contribute your
wish list for the perfect LibertyEiffel development environment. Also
comments on those of others (including mine below) are warmly welcome.

For sure not all ideas of equal priority and complexity. So you might
want to estimate a value (benefit / effort) to judge a potential
implementation order.

The following features come to my mind:
- Syntax-Highlighting
- auto completion of Eiffel keywords and constructs (maybe with
intelligent and/or configurable completeness, e. g. for loops: including
variant and invariant clauses or not?)
- GUI debugger showing stack trace, local variables
- starting the compiler on the current project in eclipse
- navigation through the code -> press F3 to go to the definition of a
feature or variable which is used at the current cursor location
- showing class hierarchies or for a specific feature in which parent
class it was (re)defined
- navigation to features within the currently open file/class
- parsing compiler output to navigate to the locations leading a warning
or error
- profiler integration to highlight the critical features
- refactoring
- parsing output of crashed executed/debugged applications to navigate
to the violated assertion showing variable values from the context
- source file template
- ACE file support (as editor with syntax highlighting and/or as
advanced build configuration including an approach for different
assertion levels per cluster/class)
- Auto-completion of feature names, when you type "a." by analysis of
a's type and suggesting its features
- wizard for new class, new project (including its root class), new
cluster (including loadpath.se?)
- Preferences dialog to adjust liberty.se?

Cheers,
Rapha