liberty-eiffel

Re: [Liberty-eiffel] LibertyEiffel (Adler) installation fails

From: Christian Rinderknecht
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] LibertyEiffel (Adler) installation fails
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 10:27:28 +0200

On 08/12/2014 02:42 PM, Cyril ADRIAN wrote:

> As Rapha said: welcome aboard :-)

Thank you all for your kind words and helpful hints! I managed to
install LibertyEiffel.

> gc/gc.h is the standard header of the BDW garbage collector. AFAIR
> you need at least a version 7.2. [...]

Is BDW used by default?

I am assessing whether LibertyEiffel can be used for a small factor
system (think 32-bit, 64K of heap).

Has anybody trod a similar trail?

I generate the C code with

compile_to_c -no_split -boost -gc_info foo.e

and I then patch foo.h so FSOC_SIZE and RSOC_SIZE are set to a lower
value, and I force LITTLE_ENDIAN on BYTE_ORDER.

My problem has to do with I/O (the other concern being the GC).

As soon as I use the class IO (io.put_string, io.put_new_line etc.),
the GC information shows that the classes STRING and
NATIVE_ARRAY[CHARACTER] start to steadily grow (and overcome the
actual logical, useful, content). I tried calling io.flush, to no
avail. Ideally, since I try to work on an embedded system, I would
rather have very small I/O buffer, if any at all.

Any idea?

By the way, if BDW is used by default, should I expect space leaks in
theory/practice?

Best regards,

Christian