liberty-eiffel

Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Liberty-eiffel Digest, Vol 5, Issue 2

From: Raphael Mack
Subject: Re: [Liberty-eiffel] Liberty-eiffel Digest, Vol 5, Issue 2
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:06:22 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 02.10.2013, 19:46 +0200 schrieb H. Zwakenberg | Ocean
Consulting GmbH:
>  I think that those that want bleeding edge releases should use a
>  git-client.  For all others, an automatic installer for each stable
>  release would be ok.

yes sure. But maybe we should have rc-setups as well, at least, if we
want potential windows users to try before we do a release.

A few ideas about a windows installer:
- it should be possible to have several versions of liberty installed in
parallel (maybe using the same C-compiler setup) and also uninstall them
separately, without breaking the others. (Env variables)
- We should have some mechanism to select the active liberty version
- the installer should ask whether it shall replace the old version
(upgrade) or setup the new in parallel.

It is important to have an installer that works and installs a working
Liberty system. All those points above are just nice to have.

> It does beg the question how the Windows release
>  is going to be integrated in the current test system.  I suppose it
>  would be best to re-run the tests on a Windows platform, but that would
>  require setting up a second infrastructure

Yes, we should reach this point sooner or later. On the other side I
think it is not necessary to do the tests on windows "after each commit"
as done by ET, because most of the tests are independent from the
platform and currently not designed to find these kind of lowlevel
problems. So I think it would be good to run the testsuite once on
windows for each RC, but we know, that there are plugins which will not
work on windows as is.

>  and it would also require
>  the test to be repeated for each and every compiler that Liberty-Eiffel
>  is going to contain in the installer...

The same here, do the test once for each RC is enough in my eyes.

Regards,
Rapha